The Canadian Pacific Railway’s station in Lanigan, Saskatchewan, Canada was
built in 1908 as a division point station between Yorkton, Saskatchewan, 148
miles (238 km) to the east and Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, 84 miles (136 km) to
the west. Later it became a division point between Regina, Saskatchewan, 107
miles (172 km) to the south and Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, 156 miles (252
km) to the north.
The CPR used standard plans to construct its stations. The Lanigan station is a
standard branch line divisional point Type 14 depot using plan E22-2. Only eight
stations of this type were built in Western Canada. Only two remain, the other
in Outlook, Saskatchewan.
The floor is constructed of 2 X 10 inch fir joists and double boards, later partly
concrete. The walls are 2 X 6 inch studs. The lower part of the east and west
walls are 24 inch drop siding. The rest of the building has ½ x 6 inch lap siding.
There are heavy beams on the exterior. The roof has wooden rafters covered
with fir boards and cedar shingles. The attic has rafters that are tied together to
the ceiling joists to resemble trussed rafters.
The station remained in service until 1994 when it was purchased by the town of
Lanigan and moved approximately 300 feet east and 10 feet north from its
original location on the same side of the track, and restored. Only the station
and the railway yard (still in use) remain. Construction in 1908 included the
station, water tower, coal dock, eight sidetracks and a four-stall roundhouse.
Information provided by the Lanigan and District Heritage Association.