Revelstoke, the Town between the Selkirk and the
Present day Revelstoke was originally known as Farwell after the
surveyor Albert Stanhope Farwell who registered the site in 1883. It
was destroyed by fire in 1885 but quickly rebuilt.
In 1886, the Canadian Pacific petitioned the government to change the
name of the town site from Farwell to Revelstoke. The name honoured
Edward Baring, First Lord Revelstoke, whose British banking firm had
saved the Canadian Pacific from bankruptcy.
Revelstoke and Railroading
Revelstoke was a pusher locomotive facility where helpers were added
to trains to move them both east over the Rogers Pass in the Selkirk
Mountains, and west over the Eagle Pass in the Monashee Mountains.
Revelstoke also became an important supply depot for the area,
particularly for mining operations to the south in the Slocan and
Kootenay Lakes district. Revelstoke is situated on the now south
flowing Columbia River 25 miles (40 km) north of Upper Arrow Lake
which in conjunction with Lower Arrow Lake provided a navigable
water route for 120 miles (193 km) to the south.